Native American SmartCare
Native American SmartCare is an innovative program funded by California Area Indian Health Services. This program helps to address the critical shortfall of psychiatric resources available for clinics that serve Native American families in California. Native American SmartCare understands that primary care providers can be an important resource for families facing behavioral health challenges. We work to help primary care and affiliated behavioral healthcare providers to enhance their knowledge and capacity to treat behavioral health issues within the primary care setting. We provide consultation with providers and families of partnered clinics to assist in navigating behavioral health concerns. We also provide support services for families of the patients in partnered clinics with navigating behavioral health, seeking services, providing resources and provide support to parents.
Consultation Services for Providers
- Psychiatric Consultation to Primary Care & Behavioral Health Providers regarding screening, diagnosis and treatment of behavioral health issues.
- Support the implementation of functional manageable screening protocols to better assess patient needs.
- Offer clinical trainings for clinic staff and healthcare providers regarding best practices in providing integrated behavioral health treatment, as well as disseminate concise and informative guidance on a variety of behavioral health care topics applicable to primary care settings.
If you have any concerns about your or your family’s behavioral health, you may contact your Primary Care Provider and ask for Native American SmartCare services, or contact us directly for assistance in locating behavioral health services in your area. The Native American SmartCare Clinical Team of Psychiatrists, Nurse Practitioners, Licensed Behavioral Health Clinicians and Educators are here to take your call at 888-660-6616 Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM (PST). Native American SmartCare services are funded by Indian Health Services. All Native American SmartCare services are available in English and Spanish, and are FREE to providers and the patients they serve.
Native American SmartCare provides remote episodic consulting services that are not intended to, nor can, replace the management or direct patient care which remains with the healthcare provider seeking the consultative advice. Native American SmartCare does not provide direct patient care and relies on the information provided by the primary care provider to offer assistive guidance, information and advice. Native American SmartCare does not prescribe medications. The management, follow-up and any reporting of the patient’s condition or treatment remains with the healthcare provider seeking consultative advice. If the patient’s symptoms or efficacy of treatment are unclear, referral of the patient for direct observation by a specialty mental health provider is recommended.
Sign Up for Our Weekly Articles
Receive articles of interest on a wide variety of subjects associated with psychiatry and the practice of primary care medicine. Just add your email address below or email us directly at NativeAmerican.SmartCare@vistahill.org.
- HOW TO TALK TO CHILDREN ABOUT CONFLICT AND WAR: TIPS TO SUPPORT AND COMFORT CHILDREN 10/13/23 October 13, 2023
- HEARING VOICES 9.28.23 September 27, 2023
- Medi-Cal Enhanced Care Management Program 9/8/23 September 8, 2023
- Bullying 8/22/23 August 22, 2023